Join our team as a Risk and Sustainability Specialist!
What We Are Looking For
At Yellowstone National Park Lodges, we depend on our team members to help guests find their ultimate Yellowstone experience—all while working to protect and preserve the park for future generations. No matter what your job is, you will be a proud steward of the park. You will play an essential role in providing warm and friendly hospitality to all our guests.
What You Are Looking For
- Are you interested in working, living, and being an ambassador in Yellowstone National Park?
- Are you looking to make friends with people from all over the world?
- Do you have a positive attitude and solid work ethic?
- Do you thrive in a fast-paced, exciting work environment?
- Are you seeking upward mobility and growth opportunities?
- Are you looking to gain experience in tourism & hospitality operations
- Are you enthusiastic about Xanterra’s sustainability initiatives?
If you answered, “Yes” to these questions, a job in Yellowstone is ideal for you!
We have immediate openings available for the 2019 season. Ideally, you will be available to work a full season (now through October 2019). If living, working, and exploring in Yellowstone sounds intriguing and exciting to you, please read on.
- Start Date: ASAP
- Employment Type: Full Time, Seasonal (ideally full season or early/late season)
- Wage- $15.45/hr
- Schedule: Varies – 40+ hours per week.
- Perks include:
- Low-cost housing (dormitory style) and meals (cafeteria style) provided
- Wi-Fi (limited bandwidth) provided
- Free Employee Recreation Program (hiking, biking, photography, camping, wildlife watching, educational programs, film series, sports competitions, and more!)
- Exclusive discounts in and around Yellowstone
- Living in the world’s first National Park
A Day in the Life
Included among the responsibilities of the Area Risk/Sustainability Specialist may be the following:
- Coordinate monthly location inspection program including hazardous and universal waste, fire extinguishers, eye-wash stations
- Work with Employee Engagement Managers to ensure that new employee orientation and ongoing training efforts are consistently disseminated across locations including as training pertains to job-specific and ongoing training beyond initial orientation and/or SafeACT
- Coordinate on-location implementation of ISO 14001 EMS requirements including postings, signage, and training
- Coordinate injury report (both employee and guest) completion, tracking, and follow-up
- Work with location Security Manager and staff to address issues identified in incident reports
- Coordinate with Location Recycling staff to ensure compliance with waste management guidelines and goals; evaluate program success and work with Sustainability staff to improve collection, signage, training, and equipment
- Work with Area Security Manager and department leads to ensure risk and environmental tailgates are taking place and are effective
- Attend weekly department manager meetings to represent risk and sustainability interests and provide support as needed
- Work to improve focus on environmental efforts within employee residences (waste sorting, efficiency improvements, competitions, etc.)
- Conduct ongoing day to day visual assessments of risk and sustainability programs and identify areas for improvement
- Assist in coordinating opening and closing procedures as it pertains to risk/sustainability
- Coordinate location specific waste audits at regular intervals during the summer season
- Assist with BOH and FOH waste sorting (especially in early season operations)
- Identify any outstanding maintenance issues related to Risk/Sustainability, enter service requests, and follow through to ensure completion
- Conduct lighting inventories to identify areas for improvement and maintain a location-wide database of fixtures, bulbs, etc.
- Visit with departments regularly to assess program needs
- Promote Green Star and ARIP programs on location
- Coordinate location trash pickup projects
- Other duties as assigned
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
Candidates interested in Risk and Sustainability Specialist positions in Yellowstone are drawn to the unique opportunity to work in the world’s first national park. You should be enthusiastic about our sustainability initiatives and mission to provide ‘legendary hospitality with a softer footprint’. Candidates must also meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have a valid driver’s license, and a good driving record. Must also have valid vehicle registration and proof of insurance meeting company minimum requirements if using a personal vehicle for company travel
- Have educational or vocational experience in the Sustainability, Environmental Health and Safety, and/or Risk Management fields
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. The position must communicate effectively with all levels of employees to identify opportunities to minimize the environmental impacts of Xanterra’s operations
- Proven ability to build productive relationships by positively interacting with coworkers and clients and a spirit of innovation and creativity to foster efficiency and engagement
- A personality and style that inspires others, encourages employees to present their ideas, and motivates a highly diverse group of people to understand what is expected and how to participate in meeting those objectives
- Capacity to apply a high level of independent direction to prioritizing and effectively progressing responsibilities
- Well-developed personal computer skills
- Have or be able to obtain CPR, first aid, and AED certification through the American Heart Association and complete CPR instructor certification (training available through Xanterra Parks & Resorts)
- Possess a proactive approach to accomplishing work while ensuring a strong attention to detail
- In-depth knowledge or ability to quickly learn park facilities, company procedures, and departmental procedures
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with employee information
- Be able to quickly learn the layout of the assigned location, established policies and procedures, and location specific duties
- Maintain positive employee relations and morale by practicing sound leadership and human relations principles, setting a good example in attitude and personal actions to promote teamwork at all times
- Ability to live in a remote, rural environment
What We Believe
At Yellowstone National Park Lodges, we are a welcoming community who work hard, share a passion for the environment, and enjoy creating memorable experiences for our guests. We are the primary concessionaire in Yellowstone National Park. As part of the Xanterra Travel Collection family, we embrace a “naturally different” lifestyle that allows you to live, work, and explore one of the most beautiful places on earth. We are a company based on values that reflect an environmental ethic and social conscience – for the long-term. “Our Softer Footprint” focuses on how we reduce our environmental impact through our comprehensive environmental initiatives. Our business practices exemplify environmental stewardship, and a desire to protect and preserve our public lands.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, relligion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.